Spacecraft Angular Velocity Estimation Algorithm Based on Orientation Quaternion Measurements
# 12, December 2016
1 S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation «Energia»,
The spacecraft (SC) mission involves providing the appropriate orientation and stabilization of the associated axes in space. One of the main sources of information for the attitude control system is the angular rate sensor blocks. One way to improve a reliability of the system is to provide a back up of the control algorithms in case of failure of these blocks. To solve the problem of estimation of SP angular velocity vector in the inertial system of coordinates with a lack of information from the angular rate sensors is supposed the use of orientation data from the star sensors; in this case at each clock of the onboard digital computer. The equations in quaternions are used to describe the kinematics of rotary motion. Their approximate solution is used to estimate the angular velocity vector. Methods of modal control and multi-dimensional decomposition of a control object are used to solve the problem of observation and identification of the angular rates. These methods enabled us to synthesize the SP angular velocity vector estimation algorithm and obtain the equations, which relate the error quaternion with the calculated estimate of the angular velocity. Mathematical modeling was carried out to test the algorithm. Cases of different initial conditions were simulated. Time between orientation quaternion measurements and angular velocity of the model was varied. The algorithm was compared with a more accurate algorithm, built on more complete equations. Graphs of difference in angular velocity estimation depending on the number of iterations are presented. The difference in angular velocity estimation is calculated from results of the synthesized algorithm and the algorithm for more accurate equations. Graphs of error distribution for angular velocity estimation with initial conditions being changed are also presented, and standard deviations of estimation errors are calculated. The synthesized algorithm is inferior in accuracy assessment to the algorithm based on other equations, but wins in the simplicity of relations, which is important for using in the on-board computer.References
- Raushenbakh B.V., Tokar' E.N. Upravlenie orientatsiej kosmicheskikh apparatov [Attitude control of space vehicles]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1974. 598 p. (in Russ.).
- Zubov N.E., Mikrin E.A., Olejnik A.S., Riabchenko V.N., Efanov D.E. The spacecraft angular velocity estimation in the orbital stabilization mode by the results of the local vertical sensor measurements. Vestnik MGTU im. N.E. Baumana. Ser. Priborostroenie[Herald of the Bauman MSTU. Ser. Instrument Engineering], 2014, no. 5, pp. 3 – 15. (in Russ.).
- Sevast'ianov N. N. Building of orientation modes on YAMAL-200 communication satellite without angular speed sensors. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Matematika i mekhanika[Tomsk State Univ. j. of mathematics and mechanics], 2013, no. 3 (23), pp. 104 – 110 (in Russ.).
- Simon'iants R.P. Ensuring control processes quality in relay system without speed sensor. Nauka i obrazovanie. MGTU im. N.E. Baumana [Science and Education of the Bauman MSTU], 2014, no 10, pp. 152-178. DOI: 10.7463/1014.0729606 (in Russ.).
- Zubov N.E., Mikrin E.A., Misrikhanov M.Sh., Riabchenko V.N., Timakov S.N., Cheremnykh E.A. Identification of the position of an equilibrium attitude of the international space station as a problem of stable matrix completion. Izvestiia Rossijskoj akademii nauk. Teoriia i sistemy upravleniia [J. of computer and systems sciences international], 2012, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 291-305. DOI: 10.1134/S1064230712010133
- Zubov N.E., Mikrin E.A., Riabchenko V.N., Timakov S.N. The use of an adaptive bandpass filter as an observer in the control loop of the International Space Station. Izvestiia Rossijskoj akademii nauk. Teoriia i sistemy upravleniia [J. of computer and systems sciences international], 2012, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 560-572. DOI: 10.1134/S1064230712030124
- Matveev V.V., Raspopov V.Ia. Osnovy postroeniia besplatformennykh navigatsionnykh system [Fundamentals of designing strapdown inertial navigation systems]. St.Petersburg, 2009. 280 p. (in Russ.).
- Zubov N.E., Mikrin E.A., Misrikhanov M.Sh., Riabchenko V.N., Timakov S.N. The use of the exact pole placement algorithm for the control of spacecraft motion. Izvestiia Rossijskoj akademii nauk. Teoriia i sistemy upravleniia[J. of computer and systems sciences international], 2013, vol.52, no. 1, pp. 129-144. DOI: 10.1134/S1064230713010127
- Zubov N.E., Mikrin E.A., Misrikhanov M.Sh., Olejnik A.S., Riabchenko V.N. Terminal bang-bang impulsive control of linear time invariant dynamic systems. Izvestiia Rossijskoj akademii nauk. Teoriia i sistemy upravleniia [J. of computer and systems sciences international], 2014, vol. 53, no.3, pp. 430-444. DOI: 10.1134/S1064230714030174
- Zubov N.E., Li E.K., Li M.V., Mikrin E.A., Poklad M.N., Riabchenko V.N. Algorithm for computing program values of angular velocity vector components during spacecraft terminal spatial turn in the inertial coordinate system. Vestnik MGTU im. N.E. Baumana. Ser. Priborostroenie[Herald of the Bauman MSTU. Ser. Instrument Engineering], 2015, no. 6, pp. 3 – 20. DOI: 10.18698/0236-3933-2015-6-3-20 (in Russ.).
- Spravochnik po teorii avtomaticheskogo upravleniia[Handbook of automatic control theory] / Ed. A. A. Krasovskij. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1987. 712 p. (in Russ.).
- Zubov N.E., Lapin A.V., Mikrin E.A. Application of quaternions to the problems of space vehicles attitude control. Inzhenernyj zhurnal: nauka i innovatsii[Engineering Journal. Science and Innovation]. DOI: 10.18698/2308-6033-2013-10-1074 (in Russ.)
- Gantmakher F.R. Teoriia matrits. [Matrix theory]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1967. 576 p. (in Russ.).