An Integrated Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Navigation System Capable of Fault Detection and Isolation
# 12, December 2016
1 Bauman Moscow State Technical University, Moscow, Russia
The article discusses an integrated navigation system development for unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to provide fault detection and isolation. In case an UAV operates flights in independent mode or in remote pilot control under conditions when an operator has a lack of information on the environment, the single-source information cannot ensure appropriate precision to navigate the UAV. Therefore, the UAV, certainly, needs an integrated navigation system based on the merger of navigation information from the several sources to enable compensation for the shortcomings of each of the sources.References
The integrated navigation system typically combines two or more than two types of navigation systems. Thus, an integrated navigation system can take full advantage of the complementarity of various navigation systems and generate accurate navigation information. Such systems typically include an inertial measurement unit (Inertial Measurement Units - IMU), SNA, visual navigation system, etc. However, in practical applications, there are many factors that affect the accuracy and reliability of the measured data, such as data transmission errors, ambient noise, and systematic errors of sensors, etc. Therefore, the fault detection and isolation feature is also necessary for the integrated navigation system.
The article offers an integrated navigation system for UAV based on conversion of navigation modes, Kalman filter, and merge of navigation information from the several sources, namely a SNA system, visual navigation system based on the algorithm of simultaneous localization and mapping (Simultaneous Localization And Mapping - SLAM), barometric altimeter, altimeter and inertial navigation system (INS). Such an integrated navigation system is capable not only to provide detection and isolation of low reliable navigation information on the basis of the residual errors of the test "chi-squared" and the result of the test "chi-squared" with two state predictions, but also to use the advantages of various sensors to improve reliability of navigation data. The results of simulation in Matlab and system layout in a natural environment show that the proposed system has high accuracy of navigation and the capability to provide fault detection and isolation.
- Upadhyay T.N., Cotterill S., Deaton A.W. Autonomous GPS/INS navigation experiment for space transfer vehicle. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 1993. No. 29(3). P. 772-785.
- Juanjuan C., Jiancheng F., Wei S., et al. Study and Application of Low-cost Multi-sensor Integrated Navigation for Small UAV Autonomous Flight. Acta Aeronautica Et Astronautica Sinica, 2009. No. 10: 021.
- Xiong Z., Hao Y., Wei J., et al. Fuzzy adaptive Kalman filter for marine INS/GPS navigation. Mechatronics and Automation, 2005 IEEE International Conference. IEEE, 2005. No. 2. P. 747-751.
- Brown D.L., Munoz J.P., Gay R. Determination of Barometric Altimeter Errors for the Orion Exploration Flight Test-1 Entry. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, 2012. P. 4993.
- Hajiyev C., Saltoglu R. Robust integrated INS/radar altimeter accounting faults at the measurement channels. Proceedings of the 23rd ICAS (The International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences) Congress, Toronto, Canada, 2002. P. 2002-6.8.
- Hang Y., Liu J., Li R., et al. Optimization method of MEMS IMU/LADAR integrated navigation system based on Compressed-EKF. 2014 IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium-PLANS 2014. IEEE, 2014. P. 115-120.
- Li R., Liu J., Zhang L., et al. LIDAR/MEMS IMU integrated navigation (SLAM) method for a small UAV in indoor environments. 2014 DGON Inertial Sensors and Systems (ISS). IEEE, 2014. P. 1-15.
- Huh S., Shim D.H., Kim J. Integrated navigation system using camera and gimbaled laser scanner for indoor and outdoor autonomous flight of UAVs. 2013 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. IEEE, 201. P. 3158-3163.
- Conte G, Doherty P. An integrated UAV navigation system based on aerial image matching. Aerospace Conference, 2008 IEEE. IEEE, 2008. P. 1-10.
- Fomichev A.V, Tan' L. Razrabotka algoritma bystroi kompensatsii pogreshnostei kompleksirovannoi inertsial'no-sputnikoi sistemy navigatsii malogabaritnykh bespilotnykh letatel'nykh apparatov v usloviiakh slozhnoi sredy. Nauka I obrazovanie = Science and education. Electronic scientific and technical publication. 2015. No. 10. Available at: http://technomag.bmstu.ru/doc/821641.html, accessed 18.06.2016.
- Yuan G., Yuan K., Zhang H. A Variable Proportion Adaptive Federal Kalman Filter for INS/ESGM/GPS/DVL Integrated Navigation System. Computational Sciences and Optimization (CSO), 2011 Fourth International Joint Conference on. IEEE, 2011. P. 978-981.
- Hua B., Chen W., Kang G., et al. Federal adaptive filtering of restraining consecutive outliers algorithm in multi-source information integrated navigation system. 2013 10th IEEE International Conference on Control and Automation (ICCA). IEEE, 2013. P. 908-912.
- Salychev O.S., Grigor'ev V.E., Makarov N.N. Integrirovannaia besplatformennaia sistema navigatsii srednei tochnosti dlia bespilotnogo letatel'nogo apparata. Patent No. 2539140, patent publication: 10.01.2015. Available at: http://www.findpatent.ru/patent/253/2539140.html, accessed 18.12.2016.
- Aleshin B.S., Afonin A.A., Veremeenko K.K., Koshelev B.V., Plekhanov V.E., Tikhonov V.A., Tiuvin A.V., Fedoseev E.P. Orientatsiia i navigatsiia podvizhnykh ob"ektov: sovremennye informatsionnye tekhnologii, under ed. by B.S. Aleshin, K.K. Veremeenko, A.I. Chernomorskii. Fizmatlit. Moscow, 2006. 422 p. [In Russian]
- Qin Yongyuan, Zhang Hongqian, Wang Shuhua. Theory of Kalman Filter and Integrated Navigation. Northwestern Polytechnic University Press, 2012. 386 p.
- Da R. Failure detection of dynamical systems with the state chi-square test. Journal of guidance, control, and dynamics, 1994. No. 1017(2). P. 271-277.
- Segars A.H., Grover V. Re-examining perceived ease of use and usefulness: A confirmatory factor analysis. MIS quarterly, 1993. P. 517-525.
- Brumback B.D., Srinath M.D. A chi-square test for fault-detection in Kalman filters. Automatic Control, IEEE Transactions on, 1987. No. 32(6). P. 552-554.
- Yu J., Lee J.G., Park C.G. Fault Detection Using Propagator for Kalman Filter and Its Application to SDINS. ICCAS, 2003. P. 978-983.
- Linben L., Zigang L.I., Chaoying C. Optimal weight distribution principle used in the fusion of multi-sensor data. Journal of Chinese Inertial Technology, 2000. No. 8(2). P. 36-39.
- Chongquan Z., Xilu D., Liyong Z., et al. Variance estimation in multisensor fusion algorithm. IFAC, 2003. P. 7-12.